Speech : Fearsome, Enthralled, Memorable

Fear, happiness, anxiety, panic, excitement you can feel all the human emotions in one journey? I have experienced it. Do you want to explore this adventurous journey?

Our journey to Amarnath Cave started from Baltal camp on 1st July 14. By 4.30 am we started riding our individual horses with bated breath. Can you guess last horse ride I had? That was on my wedding day. For 30 minutes, I held horse reins so that I shouldn’t fall. In Journey, Deep valleys were showing up I got really frightened. I thought that if something happens, then nobody would be able to find even a fingernail of mine.

For the first 3 km, I was not able to even balance myself on the horse ride. The Road was 8-10 feet wide and it was created by crafting of mountains. The road was fully occupied by horse droppings and mud due to rain on the previous day. The whole 14 km stretch of road and mountain were made of brittle Clint. The railing along the roadside stretched up-to first 4km. After that, we could see the steep fall along the roadside. We were slowly moving up to great heights, and then moving down to steep falls. Devotees on foot journey were travelling by the mountainside. Middle of the road was occupied by palanquins for senior citizens. Horse riders were on the steep side of the road, and they were away by 1-2 foot from the road end. I really felt butterflies in the stomach and had Goosebumps.

A deep valley, a small road, trust, fear, curiosity, nature, glacier, and frame of mind…. all these took me to an altogether different world. I could see the water flowing out from a glacier. It was such a soothing and charming view. Army Jawans were standing at every 500 meters… they stood like rocks... they were guarding the whole area day/night like panther silently watching jungle…. responsibility was shown in their gesture … they were doing their task with no fear… I believe in slogan “Sleep peacefully at your homes, Indian army is guarding the frontiers”

I could see army jawan carrying 2 dead bodies on stretchers. I thought that if my horse slips on the road, then I might be able to hold railing to survive. But what will happen to my family? All these thoughts were bothering me. We had to make almost a 6.5 hours’ journey to reach a point near Amarnath cave.

Amarnath cave is at 12756 feet height above sea-level and completely made of rock. The snow was slippery and many people slipped due to that. Due to less oxygen in the air, several senior citizens and ladies suffered. In the hustle queue, we were moving with the crowd. Army jawans manage the queue and helped elder people to reach the cave.


We had darshan of Amarnath Shivlingam in 2.5 hours. The Shivlingam was made of snow. It had a height of around 10 -12 feet. I somehow forgot everything else while taking darshan. I was enthralled! We started our return journey on horses. The weather was rapidly changing. The valley was blanketed with the dark cloud. It was such a fearsome cloud with darkness spread all over it. I started to appreciate horse as an animal. A horse is just like an obedient child. We can bank on the horse. Whether it is the steep valley or a great height of the mountain, the horse never broke the disciplined queue. The return journey was quite good. We had rain… same mud-covered road… same mountain… same glacier… same nature… and the same horse. But I enjoyed the return journey. Our fearsome and most thrilling trek came to end after 4.5 hours’ journey.

It is said, “Difficult roads often lead to beautiful and adventurous destinations.” Friends, go on vacation or trek with family or friends at least once in a lifetime to enjoy life and explore these emotions yourself.

Thanks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Amarnath Yatra - Sacred Journey

Planning and Initial phase of Journey.... Since the year 2011, my family was discussing for a trip to Amarnath and Vaishnodevi Pilgrim...